Sunday, November 21, 2010

Founder's Day 10k 11/14/10 (and other updates)

Let's start first with the "other updates" portion of this post. I missed my meeting this week since I was out of town. I think I was up .6 based on what my at home scale said.

Other than that I guess I have no other updates. Just trucking along...NYC in 23 days! :)

Founder's Day 10k 11/14/10

Official chip time: 1:19:46

So on Sunday morning I got up bright and early at 5:15 a.m. I got ready for the race and ate breakfast. I usually do toast with PB and banana but I did toast with a slice of cheese and ham which I will later question if this was a good call...

I met up with Jen in the parking lot to get my race packet and we headed over to the bathrooms and the start. We stretched some and tried to take a picture but this guy bumped into us...
















We got to the start line and the horn sounded and we were off. The first two miles were easy. In fact, we kept a decent 12-12:30 pace up until mile 3.

Early on around mile 1 we saw Kitzzy but she was going a little too fast for us but we ran with her for a little bit.

Around mile 2 I started getting a side stitch that would not go away. I had it the entire race and it sucked.

Right before mile 5 we saw John and Josh waiting for us (snapping photos)!
















They ran along with us for a bit. A little after mile 5 Jen started pulling away from me. My legs were feeling heavy and my side stitch was aching. I started to feel defeated but kept trucking along.

I think this race was just one of those ones where I was feeling off. The 10k I did in October I felt way better the entire race.

Between the side stitch, less training due to knee issues and a stressful Saturday the day before I just think my body was protesting a bit.

As I rounded the last bend I saw that I wasn't going to PR (although I was close) so I didn't sprint at the end. I figured why risk aggravating my knees if I wasn't going to PR?

I finished 26 seconds slower than I did last month. Now, I went into this race expecting a slower finish due to the knee set backs. Yet I guess seeing that small difference pissed me off and I was in a bad mood.

I realize now that I did my best and I'm proud of myself.

The good news is that my knees felt fine the entire race!

I think I am going to skip the Disney Princess Half and focus on speed work. I want to shave time off my 10k distance. I'm also going to do the Gasparilla 15k instead.

Lots to think about!

Sorry this post was late! It's been a draft for a week, busy week at work!

No comments: