Monday, June 28, 2010

Practice 5k on 6/27/10 & cupcakes (odd combo)

So yesterday I wanted to do a practice 5k. Basically just run the length of a 5k at the gym. I didn't get up nearly early enough to try one outside so unless I wanted to run in 97 degree weather that was out.

I did a brisk walk to warm up walking to the gym and then a few min. on the treadmill. Then I selected the 5k program.

I usually practice my running at a 5.0. I feel comfortable with it and know I can make it though at that speed. I wanted to push myself though and try a 5.5 I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. I told John at least twice I didn't think so. He of course said he knew I could if I pushed myself because I've been conditioning enough for it.

Once I started I felt good. It wasn't as fast  feeling as I thought and I just put a towel over the time and ran and jammed out to music.

I checked the time a few times. Around the second mile I was tired and hot (the gym wasn't that cool, grr...). At this point though I knew I could do it. Unless I fainted I was not slowing down.

I kept on and around the last half-mile or so I went up to 5.7 which wasn't a huge difference. The last tenth of a mile (which I sprint in 5k's) I did at a 6.5.

I finished my practice 5k in: 33:31!

I felt awesome. I've been a bit down lately and it made me feel good.

I am hoping I can replicate this time Sunday for the Watermelon 5k on the 4th of July! John is coming to cheer me on and take some pics. :)

In other news we made patriotic cupcakes last night for John to bring to work this week! They were red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Here is a photo of me licking icing and accidentally getting it in my hair. :(














I am making a sad face because it was so typical fatty to get icing in my hair licking something. :P I ate about 5 points of icing. :( Oh well! I didn't eat a cupcake. Well I tried a bite of John's.

The final result. :)
















I want to open a cupcake shop! heh.

3 comments:

Jen is losing it. said...

LOL at getting the icing in your hair haha. Aw I'm proud of you for not eating one! And that 5K time is awesome! I see what you do there with the shirt! <3

I may or may not have had Ricky go to Sweet to get me a couple minis last night... :x But I still have 10 WAPs left so score! Hope it pays off on the scale tomorrow. I am going to be awesome today and run another 5K after work...soooo keeping my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

LOL I remember when we made cupcakes for John's birthday and we ate like half of one and were very alarmed by that.

-Daniella

Claire said...

Yay! You are in way better shape than I am.

Btw, we should open a pastry shop. Cupcakes are so in right now.