Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jillian Michaels Shred It with Weights: review



Rating: 4/5 stars

I love Jillian Michaels are her DVD workouts so I was so excited to try this new one that was just released yesterday!

I hate going to the gym and using free weights and machines for strength training so I tend to rely on Jillian for my strength days. I normally use her No More Trouble Zones workout which is a 50 minute workout and pretty intense.



Going into this I had read that it was a 30-minute work out. Let me start my review by saying the workout (level 1 at least) itself is only 20 minutes. The warm-up was about four and the cool down was about the same.

I was a little disappointed that it was only 20 minutes of actual circuits. It left me wanting more. I wish the core of this workout lasted at least 30.

This workout is intended to be used with a kettle ball. I don’t own one so I used a hand weight in which Jillian says is fine if you don’t own a ball.

Once of the girls in the video uses a hand weight which is great because you’re able to watch her and how she performs the movements. Not to mention she happens to be the one doing the beginner moves, which trust me, are hard enough.

I used a 5 lb. hand weight since that was the heaviest I have at home. I could have used an 8 lb. one but 5 was fine.

The workout was difficult and got me sweating. Some moves (jumping squat with out without weight) was rough!

Overall, it was a good workout and a lot of the moves were new and fun for me. It’s reminiscent of 30 Day Shred in a lot of ways (time, circuits, ab moves) and Jillian incorporates elements of cardio with the strength.

I would buy it if you’re a fan of at home workouts. I didn’t wear my heart rate monitor but I estimate I burned between 150-200 calories.

If you’re looking for a longer and more intense strength based workout I’d go with No More Trouble Zones but Shred It with Weights is great for a quick, fast paced strength session.

No comments: